With toddler and even older kids- sometimes something very simple works! Especially in their food journey- as mums we go nutter planning and making food and then they won’t even touch it!
But hey! I’ve got a recipe that worked for me and on huge demand I’m sharing the recipe here!! Do try and let me know! It’s great for lunch boxes – quick and simple!
1/2 kg boneless chicken breast
3-4 boiled potatoes
3 Carrots – (peeled and steamed)
One cup of peas ( steamed- soft)
Few florest of steamed broccoli ( optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh bread crumbs- around 2 cups.
1. Boil the chicken breast with little salt and some black peppercorns until soft. TIP: Don’t discard the broth -( I used it later for my sauce) you can even add it in rice or freeze for later use.)
2. Mash the boiled potatoes along with the carrots , peas and broccoli.
3. Shread the chicken well- I used chopper for a better texture. Add it in the veggies.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. If your kid likes a little more flavor- add some garam masala too.
5. That’s all! Make shapes such as balls, flat kebabs, fingers- anything your kid would have fun eating- dip it in egg and then coat in bread crumbs- fry in little olive oil- ( pan fry is fine- I avoid deep frying)
(Tip: make the batch of bites- dip in egg and crumbs and freeze. Once they are set place them in a bag for freezer! )
6. Serve them with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, pulao, french fries, roti or just plain-
I’m not a super mom. But yes, I try to feed Nayel healthy stuff. I don’t always get to do- there are days when we order Mcdonalds meal. But whenever possible, I make sure I’m giving him healthy stuff.
His latest nuggets love is turning into an addiction- which forced me to make a cleaner version of nuggest at home for him. So I googled a couple of recipes, tried and tested and made my own version which he loves! Alhamdullilah!
Hence sharing with you all here today – enjoy!
Tip: try to make food colorful and fun for kids- sneak in some veggies and healthy bits that will give them some extra boost in a flavorsome way 🙂
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Makes -20 pieces
–Boneless chicken breast 1/2 kg
-Salt 1 Tsp
-Black Pepper ½ Tsp
-Paprika ½ Tsp
-Soy Sauce 1 Tsp
-Garlic Powder ½ Tsp
-Dried Parsley ½ Tsp
-Bread Crumbs 1 Cup
-Salt ¼ Tsp
-Black Pepper 1 Pinch
-Dried Parsley ½ Tsp
-Flour ½ Cup
-Corn flour 1 Tbs
-Oil For Frying
1 . You can make it two ways- either mince the raw chicken and make using that. Or boil the chicken and shread.
2. In food chopper, add chicken and chop it for 1-2 mins
3. Add garlic powder, salt, paprika, black pepper powder, soy sauce, dried parsley, egg and chop it for 1-2 minutes.
4. Take out the mixture in a bowl and refrigerate for an hour.
5. Take a bowl add flour, corn flour, mix and set aside
6. In another bowl, take breadcrumbs ,add black pepper, salt, dried parsley, mix and set aside
7. In a separate bowl, Take 1 egg and whisk it and set aside.
8. Grease your hands with oil properly, take chicken mixture (as per desired size) and shape it.
9. Coat in flour mixture, dip in beaten egg then coat in breadcrumbs.
10. Prepare all nuggets and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
11. At this stage, you can freeze nuggets for up to 30 days. Whenever you need to fry them take them out.
12. Shallow or deep fry until nice golden color appear. Depends on how you prepared it – ie boiled chicken – pan fry, mince chicken deep fry.
Shish Tawook (or Shish Taouk) is a traditional Middle Eastern marinated chicken dish. These grilled chicken skewers are incredibly popular in Lebanon, but they are also commonly found in the UAE, Turkey, Egypt, Syria, Iraq and many other ME places.
I attempted these at home with a little twist by adding some more flavors and veggies- and they turned out really delicious!
To look at where this widely popular dish comes from, let’s first take a look at the name. Shish comes from the Turkish word meaning skewers. Tawook is an adaptation on tavuk, which comes from the old Turkish takagu, meaning chicken.
Here’s the recipe ! Enjoy ♥️
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 25 min
Serves: 2-3 people !
-Chicken boneless cubes ½ kg
-Dahi (Yogurt) 1/2 – 3/4 Cup
– Mix veggies- Capsicum, Onions, Tomatoes- cut in cubes
-Cover and let it marinate for 2-3 hours to overnight in fridge.
-Thread chicken boneless cubes along with veggies into skewers.( one of each) – A tip that will help you – dip the wooden skewers in water for around 10-20 min before using them. This will prevent them from burning on the pan:)
-In grill pan,add oil and grill skewers from all sides until done. brush little oil or butter for the glaze!
– Serve hot with boiled rice and salad!
Parsley Salad : chop some fresh parsley, slice some onions thinly. Mix them together and add little olive oil, sumac and lemon juice! Serve as the side.
If you get to cook these at home, please drop me a feedback message. I’d love to hear from you guys.
If you follow my blog, you would know my love for chaye- a good chaye- paki hoye, doodh pati kind- and a slice of warm cake with it , makes my world go round and round with happiness😬
I Absolutely LOVE carrot cakes, mainy because they’re not very sweet( atleast I like them that way) , I can add my best friends – NUTS and PECANS in them and ofcourse who doesn’t like a cinnamon kick – cmonnnnn!😎
So I’m sharing my secret recipe today tried many times , always a hit! However – this time I swapped cake flour with whole wheat flour (aata) and it came out delicious! You can either use normal flour or experiment with mine using ata too. It will definitely be yummy!
The best part is- you absolutely don’t need any fancy equipments for this cake! Just bowls, a whisk and spatula are all that’s needed for the cake itself. It comes together really quickly. Simply whisk the dry ingredients together, whisk the wet ingredients together then combine. Add carrots and nuts( optional) and you’re done.
So after a poll on my blog on instagram- for you all- here’s the recipe!
Super Moist and yummy Carrot Cake
Makes 12-24 cupcakes
Or 9 inch double layer cake – 16-22 slices
( if you want a smaller one, just half all the ingredients-)
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat ata
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups canola or other vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
3 cups grated peeled carrots (5 to 6 medium carrots)
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans and walnuts (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 180 degree ( about 20 min ) Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and line the bottom with parchment paper then grease the top of the paper. Or, grease and flour the bottom and sides of both pans. ( it ensures the cake to come out clean!)
2. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and the cinnamon until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
3.Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, stirring gently ( not too much) until they disappear.
4. Grate the carrots and dust some flour onto them. This ensures carrots to be preset equal around the cake and not sink at the bottom! You will thank me for this tip! Like this👇🏼- add into the batter with nuts.
5. Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake until the tops of the cake layers are springy when touched and when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean; 35 to 45 minutes. ( if you’re baking half of these ingredients – a single pan is good)
Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks, peel off parchment paper and cool completely.
I don’t like the cream cheese frosting , as I enjoy the cake like this- but if you’re a frosting fan please go ahead!♥️
I made the frosting a long time ago and that’s what it looked it.
Tadaaaa!!! Put that kettle on for chaye and enjoy the goodness!!!! Please please leave me a comment if you try this recipe – and your feedback is golddddddd!! You know that!